April 12th-14th, 2019
The Legacy Performance Games were created from legacy funds generated by the hosting of the Kamloops 2011 Western Canada Summer Games in August, 2011. The Kamloops Sports Council was contracted to plan, organize, create and deliver the Legacy Performance Games.
The Legacy Games are not intended to replace existing multi-sport Games opportunities but to offer a Games experience to athletes that may miss out on participating in “elite” Games. For example, not all summer sports are included in a Western Canada or Canada Summer Games. Another example is because of the year they were born, some athletes are not in the “stream” of the Games (IE: if Canada Summer Games focus on U15 boys for Baseball in 2013 and again in 2017, those born in 2000 / 2001 and 2004 / 2005 are not eligible). After discussions with various Provincial Sport Organizations (PSO’s), it has been confirmed there is a need for an event that catches sports not included or missed age at a higher level of competition.
The Legacy Performance Games is dedicated to the development of excellence in sport.
Goals and Objectives
- To provide athletes with an athletic competition that supports Canadian Sport for Life and the PSO’s long-term athlete development models.
- To provide athletes with an opportunity to experience and prepare for future national / international multi-sport competitions.
- To encourage and motivate participation in major sport events on an inter-provincial, provincial, territorial, regional and community basis.
- To profile the best age-class athletes in an event that supports ethical practices in sport including fair play in a drug free environment, free of harassment and abuse.
- To promote a high standard of coaching and officiating.
- To demonstrate the strong volunteer commitment to amateur sport by Kamloops residents.
- To promote the value of sport and demonstrate its importance in Canadian culture.
- To encourage government, the private sector and the volunteer community to cooperate in the organization and funding of the Legacy Performance Games.
- To provide a human and physical legacy.